Liu, Xingjian 劉行健
B.S. (Wuhan); M.S. (Texas State); PhD (Cambridge)
Fields of interest:
Urban Geography; Urban Networks; City-regions; Polycentric Urban Development; Urbanization in China; Regional Planning and Development; Urban Analytics
- Liu, X. (2019). Assessing airport ground access by public transport in Chinese cities. Urban Studies, doi.org/10.1177/0042098019828178
- Liu, X. (2019). Characterizing broken links on national and local expressways in Chinese city-regions. Regional Studies, org/10.1080/00343404.2018.1555371.
- Pan, F., Bi, W., Liu, X., & Sigler, T. (2018). Exploring financial centre networks through inter-urban collaboration in high-end financial transactions in China. Regional Studies, doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2018.1475728 (Corresponding author).
- Li, Y., & Liu, X. (2018). How did urban polycentricity and dispersion affect economic productivity? A case study of 306 Chinese cities. Landscape and Urban Planning, 173, 51-59. (Corresponding author)
- Liu, X., & Hu, X. (2018). Are ‘sister cities’ from ‘sister provinces’? An exploratory study of sister city relations (SCRs) in China. Networks and Spatial Economics, doi.org/10.1007/s11067-018-9408-z.
- Ye, Y., Li, D., & Liu, X. (2017), “How block density and typology affect urban vitality: An exploratory analysis in Shenzhen, China”, Urban Geography, doi.org/10.1080/02723638.2017.13851536 (Corresponding author)
- Liu, X., & Zhou, J. (2017), “Mind the missing links in China’s urbanizing landscape: The phenomenon of broken intercity trunk roads and its underpinnings”, Landscape and Urban Planning, 165, 64-72.
- Wang, M., Madden, M., & Liu, X. (2017). Exploring the Relationship between Urban Forms and CO 2 Emissions in 104 Chinese Cities. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 143(4), 04017014. (Corresponding author)
- Liu, X., Derudder, B., & Wang, M. (2017). Polycentric urban development in China: A multiscale analysis. Environment and Planning B, org/10.1177/2399808317690155.
- Liu, X., & Long, Y. (2016). Automated identification and characterization of parcels with OpenStreetMap and points of interest.Environment and Planning B, 43, 341-360.
- Liu, X., Derudder, B., & Wu, K. (2016). Measuring polycentric urban development in China: an intercity transportation network perspective. Regional Studies, 50(8), 1302-1315.
- Liu, X., & Wang, M. (2016). How polycentric is urban China and why? A case study of 318 cities.Landscape and Urban Planning, 151, 10-20.
- Liu, X., Dai, L., & Derudder, B. (2016). Spatial Inequality in the Southeast Asian Intercity Transport Network.Geographical Review, DOI: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2016.12181.x
- Zhao, M., Liu, X., Derudder, B., Zhong, Y., & Shen, W. (2015). Mapping producer services networks in mainland Chinese cities.Urban Studies,52(16), 3018-3034. (Corresponding author)
- Liu, X., Song, Y., Wu, K., Wang, J., Li, D., & Long, Y. (2015). Understanding urban China with open data.Cities, 47, 53-61.
- Liu, X., & Wang J. (2015). Featured graphic: The geography of Weibo. Environment and Planning A, 47, 1231–34.
- Liu, X., Derudder, B., & Liu, Y. (2015). Regional geographies of intercity corporate networks: The use of exponential random graph models to assess regional network‐Papers in Regional Science, 94(1), 109-126.
Distinctions and Recognitions:
- Commended/Runner-up, Royal Town Planning Institute Early Career Researcher Award, 2017
- Association of American Geographers (AAG)-Spatial Analysis and Modeling Specialty Group Emerging Scholar Award, 2017
- Young GIS Researcher Award, Austrian Academy of Science, 2017
- Finalist, Royal Town Planning Institute Early Career Researcher Award, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Research Output Prize (Faculty of Architecture), HKU, 2016
- Regional Studies Association & Routledge Early Career Award, 2015
- AAG-Regional Development and Planning Specialty Group Emerging Scholar Award, 2013
- Associate Director, Globalization and World Cities (GaWC) Research Network
- Associate Director, Beijing City Lab, www.beijingcitylab.com
- URBS 3002 Urban and Regional Development II (Semester I)
- URBS 4001 Advanced Urban Studio I (Semester I)
- URBS 4003 Urban Policy and Governance (Semester I)
- CCGL9026 Think Global, Act Local: You, Hong Kong, and the World (Semester II)
- URBP6017 GIS for Urban and Regional Planning and Development (Semester II)