Li, Weifeng 李衛鋒
BSc; BEc; MSc PEKING; PhD MIT
Weifeng Li is Associate Professor in the Department of Urban Planning and Design at the University of Hong Kong. Weifeng Li received his Ph.D. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US, and joined the University of Hong Kong in 2011. He has previously studied at Peking University in China. He is currently an Associate Editor of Journal of Transport and Land Use, a member of the editorial board of Transportation Research D: Transport and Environment, President of the Hong Kong GIS Association, and Chair of Transportation Planning Track at World Transport Convention (WTC).
Weifeng’s primarily research interests focus on environmental sustainability associated with urbanization and transportation, urban spatial structure and air pollution, health effects, and the use of urban modelling, remote sensing and big data in urban and environmental studies. He has received a number of scholarly awards, including HKU Faculty of Architecture Research Output Prize (2014/2015), Finalist of Royal Town Planning Institute Early Career Researcher Award (2017).
Fields of interest:
Environmental Sustainability associated with Urbanization and Transportation; Urban Configuration and Air Pollution, Health Effects; The Use of Urban Modelling, Remote Sensing and Big Data in Urban and Environmental Studies
Awards & Achievements
Dr Li was invited to serve as Associate Editor of the Journal of Transport and Land Use, the official journal of the World Society for Transport and Land Use Research, published by University of Minnesota (SSCI/Scopus).
- “Inter-Modal Transport Data-Sharing”, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF)
- “Remote Sensing Monitoring of PM2.5 Concentrations and Analysis of Socio-economic Driving Forces in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Based on VIIRS Data”, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
- “Development of Remote Sensing-based Spatiotemporal Model to Estimate High-resolution Distribution of Ground-level PM2.5 in Chinese Cities”, Seed Fund for Basic Research
- “A Study of Urban Living and Employment Compactness Based on Multi-source Spatio-temporal Data”, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
- “Restructuring Institutional Frameworks for Sustainable Urban Bus Services in Transit-oriented Cities: Evidence from Hong Kong and Taipei”, Seed Fund for Basic Research
- “Planning for Resilient Cities: Linking Urban Resilience to Spatial Structure”, Seed Fund for Basic Research
- Zhou, X., Yeh, A.G.O., Yue, Y., & Li, W. (2022). Residential-employment mixed use and jobs-housing balance: A case study of Shenzhen, China, Land Use Policy, 119. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2022.106201
- Chang, Z., Diao, M., Jing, K., & Li, W. (2021) High-speed rail and industrial movement: Evidence from China’s Greater Bay Area. Transport Policy, 112, 22-31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2021.08.013
- Guo, H., Li, X., Li, W., Wu, J., Wang, S. & Wei, J. (2021) Climatic modification effects on the association between PM1 and lung cancer incidence in China. BMC Public Health, 21, 880. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-10912-8
- Guo, H., Li, X., Wei, J., Li, W., Wu, J., & Zhang, Y. (2022). Smaller particular matter, larger risk of female lung cancer incidence? Evidence from 436 Chinese counties. BMC Public Health, 22, 344. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-12622-1
- Zhang, Z., Xia, C., & Li, W. (2022). Exploring the effects of 3D urban form on urban air quality: Evidence from fifteen megacities in China. Sustainable Cities and Society, 78, 103649. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2021.103649
- Zhang, Z., Xia, C., & Li, W. (2022). Relationships between 3D urban form and ground-level fine particulate matter at street block level: Evidence from fifteen metropolises in China. Building and Environment, 211, 108745. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2021.108745
- Guo, H., Li, W., Wu, J., & Ho, H.C. (2021). Does air pollution contribute to urban–rural disparity in male lung cancer diseases in China? Environmental Science and Pollution Research. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-021-17406-5
- Chang, Z., Li, W., Li, X. & Deng, C. (2021) Waste disposal and housing price: new evidence from the landfill clean-up program in Hong Kong. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2020.1838265
- Pi, X., Feng, L., Li, W., Liu, J., Kuang, X., Shi, K., Qi, W., Chen, D., & Tang, J. (2021). Chlorophyll-a concentrations in 82 large alpine lakes on the Tibetan Plateau during 2003-2017: Temporal-spatial variations and influencing factors. International Journal of Digital Earth, 1-22. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17538947.2021.1872722
- Pi, X., Feng, L., Li, W., Zhao, D., Kuang, X., & Li, J. (2020). Water clarity changes in 64 large alpine lakes on the Tibetan Plateau and the potential responses to lake expansion. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 170, 192-204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2020.10.014
- Guo, H., Wei, J., Li, X., Ho, H.C., Song, Y., Wu, J., & Li, W. (2021). Do socioeconomic factors modify the effects of PM1 and SO2 on lung cancer incidence in China? Science of the Total Environment, 143998.
- Guo, H., Li, W., & Wu, J. (2020). Ambient PM2.5 and annual lung cancer incidence: A nationwide study in 295 Chinese counties. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17, 1481. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17051481
- Guo, H., Li, W., Yao, F., Wu, J., Zhou, X., Yue, Y., & Yeh, A.G.O. (2020). Who are more exposed to PM2.5 pollution: A mobile phone data approach. Environmental International.
- Zhang, A., Li, W., Wu, J., Lin, J., Chu, J., & Xia, C. (2020). How can the urban landscape affect urban vitality at the street block level? A case study of 15 metropolises in China. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2399808320924425
- Hu, T., Wu, J., & Li, W. (2019). Assessing relationships of ecosystem services on multi-scale: A case study of soil erosion control and water yield in the Pearl River Delta. Ecological Indicators, 99, 193-202.
- Li, W. and Lin, J. (2019) Editorial: Special Issue on “Urbanization, Transportation and Air Quality in Developing Countries”. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, forthcoming.
- Guo, H., Chang, Z., Wu, J. and Li, W. (2019) Air pollution and lung cancer incidence in China: Who are faced with a greater effect? Environmental International, 132, 105077. (corresponding author)
- Song, J., Li, W. (2019) Linkage Between the Environment and Individual Resilience to Urban Flooding: A Case Study of Shenzhen, China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 16(14), 2559. (corresponding author)
- Song, J., Chang, Z., Li, W., Feng, Z., Wu, J., Cao, Q., and Liu, J. (2019) Resilience-vulnerability Balance to Urban Flooding: A Case Study in a Densely Populated Coastal City in China. Cities, 95: 102381. (corresponding author)
- Yao, F., Wu, J., Li, W., and Peng, J. (2019) A spatially structured adaptive two-stage model for retrieving ground-level PM2.5 concentrations from VIIRS AOD in China. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 151, pp. 263-276.
- Yao, F., Wu, J., Li, W., and Peng, J. (2019) Estimating Daily PM2.5 Concentrations in Beijing Using 750-M VIIRS IP AOD Retrievals and a Nested Spatiotemporal Statistical Model. Remote Sensing, 11(7), 841.
- Wu, J., Wang, L., and Li, W. (2018) Usage Patterns and Impact Factors of Public Bicycle Systems: Comparison between City Center and Suburban District in Shenzhen. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 144 (3), 04018027. (Corresponding author)
- Liu, J., Li, W., and Wu, J. (2018). A Framework for Delineating the Regional Boundaries of PM2.5 Pollution: A Case Study of China. Environmental Pollution, 235, pp.642-651. (Corresponding author)
- Yao, F., Si, M., Li, W., and Wu, J. (2018). A Multidimensional Comparison between MODIS and VIIRS AOD in Estimating Ground-level PM2.5 Concentrations over a Heavily Polluted Region in China. Science of The Total Environment, 618, pp. 819-828. (Corresponding author)
- Li, W., Cao, Q., Lang, K., and Wu., J. (2017) Linking Potential Heat Source and Sink to Urban Heat Island: Heterogeneous Effects of Landscape Pattern on Land Surface Temperature. Science of the Total Environment, 586, pp. 457-465.
- Wu, J., Zhu, J., Li, W., Xu, D., and Liu, J. (2017) Estimation of the PM2.5 Health Effects in China during 2000–2011. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(11), pp. 10695-10707. (Corresponding author).
- Wang, Z., Yao, F., Li, W., and Wu, J. (2017) Saturation Correction for Nighttime Lights Data Based on the Relative NDVI. Remote Sensing, 9(7), 759, pp. 1-14.
- Wu, J., Yao, F., Li, W., and Si, M. (2016) VIIRS-based Remote Sensing Estimation of Ground-level PM5 Concentrations in Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei: A Spatiotemporal Statistical Model. Remote Sensing of Environment, 184, pp. 316-328. (Corresponding author).
- Liu, J., Li, W., and Li, J. (2016) Quality Screening for Air Quality Monitoring Data in China. Environmental Pollution, 216, pp. 720-723. (Corresponding author).
- Liu, J., Li, J. and Li, W. (2016) Temporal Patterns in Fine Particulate Matter Time Series in Beijing: A Calendar View. Scientific Reports, 6, 32221, pp.1-6. (Corresponding author).
- Liu, J., Li, J., Li, W., and Wu, J. (2016) Rethinking Big Data: A Review on the Data Quality and Usage Issues. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 115, pp. 134-142. (Corresponding author).
- Liu, J., Li, J., Li, W., and Shaw, J. (2015). Mapping Ethnic Migration in Mainland China from the Early 1960s to 2010. Environment and Planning A, 47 (12), pp. 1-3. (Graphics article) (Corresponding author).
- Wu, J., Li, J., Peng, J., Li, W., Xu, G., and Dong, C. (2015) Applying Land Use Regression Model to Estimate Spatial Variation of PM2.5 in Beijing, China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22(9), pp. 7045-7061.
- Liu, J. and Li, W. (2014) A Nighttime Light Imagery Estimation of Ethnic Disparity in Economic Well-being in Mainland China and Taiwan (2001-2013). Eurasian Geography and Economics, 55, pp.691-714. (Corresponding author).
- Wu, J., He, S., Peng, J., Li, W., and Zhong, X. (2013) Inter-calibration of DMSP-OLS Night-time Light Data by Using Invariant Region Method. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34:20, pp. 7356-7368.
- Wu, J., Wang, Z., Li, W., and Peng, J. (2013) Exploring Factors Affecting the Relationship between Light Consumption and GDP Based on DMSP/OLS Nighttime Satellite Imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment, 134, pp. 111-119.
- Li, W., Wang, Y., Li, G. and Peng, J. (2005) Landscape and spatial changes associated with rapid urbanization in Shenzhen, China. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 12(3), pp. 314-325.
- URBS4001 Advanced Urban Studies Studio
- URBP6901 Values in Planning
- URBP8002 International Planning Policy and Practise