Guo, Cui 郭萃
BSc, MSc (SMU); PhD (CUHK)
Dr. Guo joined the Department of Urban Planning and Design at the University of Hong Kong as an Assistant Professor in October 2022. Her research interest mainly lies in Environmental Epidemiology, Public Health, and Biostatistics. Dr. Guo has published more than 50 journal articles in peer-reviewed prestigious journals, including Circulation, Lancet Planetary Health, Environmental Health Perspectives, Environment International, British Journal of Sports Medicine and Canadian Medical Association Journal as first author. Her research is based on both local and global health systems to contribute scientific findings to the improvement of human health and living environment. Her research enhances governmental guidelines on air pollution control and health improvement as well as helps general population to modify their lifestyle. Dr. Guo’s research findings have been reported by a series of newsletters. Dr. Guo is also a guest editor of Atmosphere, a member of topical advisory panel for Pollutants, and a member of the International Biometric Society. She further constantly serves as a reviewer of several top journals.
Fields of Interest
- Global health
- Built environment
- Air pollution
- Climate change
- Combined effect
- Public Health
- Cohort study
- Chronic and infectious diseases
- Early-life exposure to air pollution and chronic health conditions in later life: a longitudinal cohort study, Health and Medical Research Fund, PI, 07/2022-12/2023
- Health effects of neighbourhood greenness on Chinese adults: analysis of two existing longitudinal cohorts in Taiwan and Hong Kong, General Research Fund, co-I, 01/2023-06/2025
- Health effects of neighbourhood walkability on Chinese adults: Analysis of an existing longitudinal cohort, General Research Fund, co-I, 01/2021-06/2023.
- Health effects of long-term exposure to air pollution in Hong Kong residents, Guangdong province Natural Science Fung, co-I, 10/2019-09/2022.
- Guo C, Yu T, Bo Y, Lin C, Chang L, Wong MCS, Yu Z, Lau AKH, Tam T, Lao XQ. Long-term exposure to fine particulate matter and mortality: a longitudinal cohort study of 400,459 adults. Epidemiology. 2022; 33:309-317.
- Guo C, Yu T, Chang L, Lin C, Yang HT, Bo Y, Zeng Y, Tam T, Lau AKH, Lao XQ. Effects of air pollution and habitual exercise on the risk of death: a longitudinal cohort study. Canadian Medical Association Journal 193:E1240-E1249.
- Guo C, Yang HT, Chang L, Bo Y, Lin C, Zeng Y, Tam T, Lau AKH, Hoek G, Lao XQ. Habitual exercise is associated with reduced risk of diabetes regardless of air pollution: a longitudinal cohort study. Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 1298-1308.
- Guo C, Chan SHT, Lin C, Zeng Y, Bo Y, Zhang Y, Hossain S, Chan JWM, Yeung DW, Lau AKH, Lao XQ. Physical distancing implementation, ambient temperature and Covid-19 containment: An observational study in the United States. Science of the Total Environment. 2021; 789: 147876.
- Guo C, Zeng Y, Chang L, Yu Z, Bo Y, Lin C, Lau AKH, Tam T, Lao XQ. Independent and opposing associations of habitual exercise and chronic PM5 exposures on hypertension incidence. Circulation 2020; 142: 645-656.
- Guo C, Tam T, Bo Y, Chang LY, Lao XQ, Thomas GN. Habitual physical activity, renal function and chronic kidney disease: A cohort study of nearly 200,000 adults. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2020; 54:1225-1230.
- Guo C, Bo Y, Chan TC, Zhang Z, Lin C, Tam T, Lau AKH, Chang L, Hoek G, Lao XQ. Does fine particulate matter (PM5) affect the benefits of habitual physical activity on lung function in adults: a longitudinal cohort study. BMC Medicine 2020; 18:134.
- Guo C, Chan TC, Teng YC, Lin C, Bo Y, Chang L, Lau AKH, Tam T, Wong MCS, Lao XQ. Long-term exposure to ambient fine particles and gastrointestinal cancer mortality in Taiwan: a cohort study. Environment International 2020; 138: 105640.
- Guo C,# Bo Y, # Lin C, Li HB, Zeng Y, Zhang Y, Hossain MS, Chan JWM, Yeung DW, Kwok K, Wong SYS, Lau AKH, Lao XQ. Meteorological factors and COVID-19 incidence in 190 countries: an observational study. Science of the Total Environment. 2020; 757:143783. [Highly cited paper]
- Guo C, Hoek G, Chang LY, Bo Y, Lin C, Huang B, Chan TC, Tam T, Lau AKH, Lao XQ. Long-term exposure to ambient fine particulate matter (PM5) and lung function in children, adolescents and young adults: a longitudinal cohort study. Environmental Health Perspectives 2019; 127: 127008.
- Guo C, Zhang Z, Lau AKH, Lin C, Chuang YC, Chan J, Jiang WK, Tam T, Yeoh EK, Chan TC, Chang LY, Lao XQ. Effect of long-term exposure to fine particulate matter on lung function decline and risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Taiwan: a longitudinal cohort study. Lancet Planetary Health. 2018; 2: e114–25. [Highly cited paper]
Dr. Guo is looking for excellent students/young researchers (PhD students and Research Assistants/Associates). Applicants should possess a degree in public health, epidemiology/biostatistics, urban planning, geography, or related disciplines. Priorities will be given to those with research experience in big data, longitudinal cohort studies, and build environment. If you have passion and perseverance for scientific research and for the improvement of public health and living environment, please join us and send your CV directly to me (email@example.com).