Real Estate and Construction
Active Dates: June 2019
Knowledge Exchange Team:
Project Coordinator: Dr. K.Y. Deng
Advisor: Ir Dr. S.W. Poon
Team Members: Ir K.F. Man, Mrs. A. K.Y. Yau
Quarries have been in existence long before the British’s arrival, mainly because of the quality and abundance of the local granite. In 1844, the quarrying industry was taxed not just as a source of revenue, though minimal, but more importantly as an assertion of sovereignty.
Quarries were then leased through tendering or public auction on an annual basis first on the Hong Kong Island, followed by all quarries in Kowloon Peninsula after 1860. In 1902 the quarry leases were split further into small groups rather than geographic area, and were extended to two years or more.
Initially granite blocks were used as a principal material in building and infrastructure construction. In the 20th Century the use of granite changed due to a great demand of aggregates in concrete production.
The copy of documents contained in this presentation were
photocopied from the original documents (books, journals, reports, pamphlets, publications, photographs, etc.) or
downloaded from public websites for research purpose only.
Reproduction, storage, distribution or transmission in any form or by any means, including photocopying, or other
electronic or mechanical means, of any of the documents in this presentation for commercial uses should obtain prior written permission from appropriate copyright owners.
The pamphlet is financed by
The Knowledge Exchange (KE) Funding for Impact Project of HKU (KE-IP-201819-5):
The History and Heritage of Quarrying in Hong Kong
The related research work was financed by the following grants from The Lord Wilson Heritage Trust
for the following projects:
The History of Quarrying in Hong Kong 1840 – 1940 (2010) Quarrying in Hong Kong Since Second World War (2013)
The Culture and Heritage of Quarrying in Hong Kong (2015)