Real Estate and Construction
Active Dates: July 2017
Deng, Katherine Members of Research Team and Knowledge Exchange Team
Dr. S.W. Poon; Dr. F.F. Ng; Dr. Y. Deng
Ir K.Y. Ma; Ir K.F. Man; Mr. T. W. Tsin
Prof. W.M. Leung; Mr. J. Farrell
- Lord Wilson Heritage Trust
- Knowledge Exchange Impact Project Fund, The University of Hong Kong
History of lighthouses in Hong Kong
- In 1857 the Office of Committee of Privy Council for Trade asked the colony to build a lighthouse on Pratas Shoal in South China Sea.
- In 1867, Commander Reed recommended Waglan, Green Island and Gap Rock as favourable sites for lighthouses.
- In 1873, the Harbour Master suggested to build lighthouses at Waglan, North-east end of Lema Island and Gap Rock. But all these places were in China’s territory.
- Lighthouses were built at Cape D’ Aguilar (1875), Green Island (1875) and Cape Collinson (1876).
- In 1886, Captain J.P. MaClear suggested to Rumsey a lighthouse be built for ships coming from the South.
- Negotiations between Britain and China for building a lighthouse on Gap Rock.
- The Qing Government authorized a lighthouse be built on Gap Rock Island.
- China contributed $7,500 (construction) and $750 annually (maintenance).
- Estimated construction cost: £10,000 (1872), $45,000 (1873), $90,000 (1886).
- China would maintain the sovereignty of the Island.
Design and construction
- The Light Tower
- European quarters
- Chinese quarters
- A house for condensing apparatus
- A kitchen/cook house
- Lantern – first order, 42m above mean sea level, visible from 32 km in clear weather
The copy of documents contained in this page were
photocopied from the original documents (books,
journals, reports, pamphlets, publications, photographs,
etc.) or downloaded from public websites for research
Reproduction, storage, distribution or transmission in any
form or by any means, including photocopying, or
other electronic or mechanical means, of any of the
documents in this pamphlet for commercial uses should
obtain prior written permission from appropriate