Real Estate and Construction
Active Dates: 2018-2021
RESEARCH Commemorating the Centenary of Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir – The Dam and the People
PI: DR. KATHERINE Y. DENG
ADVISORS: IR DR. S.W. POON, IR K.F. MAN, IR K.Y. MA, MR. T.W. TSIN, MRS. ADA K.Y. YAU DIVERS: MR. JACK WU AND DIVING TEAM
PHOTOGRAPHERS: MR. WILSON WO, MR. DUNCAN C.K. LEE
GRAPHIC DESIGNER: MS. YEUNG SZE LUNG
Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir is the last but the largest of the four impounding reservoirs of Tai Tam Waterworks Scheme built between 1883 and 1918. Tai Tam Harbour is situated at the estuary of Tai Tam Tuk on the south-east of the Hong Kong Island.
There are newly identified pieces of evidence which provide the missing link of the Dam construction. The To Tei Wan quarry which was used to supply the granite for the construction and the remains of the pier at Tai Tam Harbour are just a significant few.
In connection with the Tai Tam Tuk reservoir construction, people involved are categorized into the following five groups:
The Dam was completed in October 1917 and was officially celebrated in February 1918. Year 2018, which marks the centenary of the Dam, is hence deemed as high time to unveil and analyse an interdisciplinary array of evidence of the history of the Reservoir construction.
This research project was funded by The Lord Wilson Heritage Trust