The basic qualification necessary for admission to research postgraduate studies is a good honours degree from this University or an equivalent qualification from a comparable institution.

Applicants who wish to be admitted to higher degrees on the basis of a qualification from a university or a comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and;or examination is not English are required to obtain:

(a) A minimum score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (550 or above on the paper-based test or 80 or above on Internet-based test);
(b) A minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
(c) Grade C or above in the Overseas General Certificate of Education (GCE); or
(d) Grade C or above in the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE); or
(e) Grade C or above in the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language (CPE);

The Graduate School is the overall administrative institution in charge of policy, rules, regulations, examination procedures, and quality.

Application for MPhil. and Ph.D. has to be made through an online application system at

In addition, applicants may request for application materials by sending an email to the Graduate School, at