1. If I have met the University Entrance Requirements, does this mean I will be admitted?

No, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the programme.
2. I have an undergraduate degree in computer science. Am I eligible to apply?

You can, if you have an appetite and drive for design and transport, if you are certain that you can cope with the design steep learning curve and are conversant with quantitative approaches and have excellent English writing skills. During the first semester (Y1) quantitative and excellent English writing skills will compensate for design and as your design skills progress during the second semester (Y1) and become proficient in design. You take the opportunity for design internship between Y1 and Y2. Over the second year you may achieve a distinction with the research dissertation / Urban Design and Transport Thesis Project giving a very good overall GPA. Please approach the Programme Director to discuss. Most of the students admitted to the programme have not studied urban design before, they might come from design background, yet they are new to urban design. They might be working in transport sectors or have a plan to develop their career interfacing urban design and transport.
4. How many intakes in each academic year? When do they start?

There’s only one intake each year. Application are from November to end of February.
5. When will the results of applications be announced?

Successful applicants will be informed shortly after the interview, informally by email and formally by letter once all application documents have been checked.
6. How large are the classes?

About 27 students are admitted to the MScUDT programme. For studio course there is 1 design tutor for 8-9 students, meeting one day a week for the duration of the studio period. Each studio course includes two design review with external professionals. For the capstone experience there is 1 supervisor for 4 students, meeting individually once a week for the duration of the course with two design review with external professionals. For lecture-based course, number vary from 27 and up.
7. How much is the application fee for taught postgraduate admissions and how should I pay for it?

Application fee of HK$300 per application should be made online at Your application cannot be processed until you pay your application fee online by Visa or MasterCard credit card. The application fee is non-refundable.

1. How heavy is the study load?

For a 6-credit course, 150 hours of student working (including 24 contact hours and other student learning activities and efforts) is expected. Full-time students normally enrol in 30-credit courses per semester. There are two semesters a year: the first semester is September to December, and the second semester is January to May.
2. How long does it take to complete the programme?

Full-time students are expected to complete their study in two academic year and take the opportunity of the summer break between year 1 and year 2 to undertake internship.
3. What will happen if I fail a course?

If it is a prescribed course, you are required to resubmit during the same academic years.

1. Does the programme provide ADB-JSP or JJWBGSP Scholarship?

The programme is seeking approval for the ADB-JSP scholarship. Please contact admission officer.

Students should arrange their own visa and accommodation. The brief guidelines below are just for students’ easy reference.
1. Visa

International students should apply for student visa/entry permit for studying at HKU. Please find more details at CEDARS.
2 Accommodation

Residential places on campus for postgraduate students are limited and in great demand. Admission to the University does not guarantee accommodation, and the acquisition of which remains to be the responsibility of each individual student. It is therefore in the interest of overseas applicants to make accommodation arrangements before they arrive. Off-campus accommodation near the University is expensive and students using it will need to budget for extra costs. Applicants are advised to consult the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) for advice, and information is also available from the CEDARS. CEDARS offers assistance to students looking for rental accommodation in the open market.
3. Financial Support

Students may seek financial aids from various sources. See here for more details.
4. The Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS)

CEDARS is committed to fostering an intellectually stimulating and culturally diverse campus to enrich students’ total learning experience at HKU. It supports students by providing a wide range of services, including career advice, counselling, and personal development. To explore more about CEDARS, please browse their webpage here.In addition, the Department of Urban Design and Planning recognizes that non-local students might encounter specific challenges (e.g., cultural adjustment) when they first come to Hong Kong and HKU. Our faculty and staff members would also be happy to meet our students. Students, if wanted, will be assigned one or more advisors (an experienced faculty member) to facilitate adjustment to the university environment, exchange academic interests, develop personal goals, etc.