Assistance to International Students

Students need to arrange for their own visa and accommodation. The guidance below provides brief information and links to where further, more detailed information can be found.

International students should apply for a student visa/entry permit for studying at HKU via the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) online application system. Please find more details HERE.

Residential places on campus for postgraduate students are limited and in great demand. Admission to the University does not guarantee accommodation and finding a place to live remains the responsibility of each individual student. It is in the best interest of overseas applicants to make accommodation arrangements before they arrive in Hong Kong. Applicants are advised to consult the dedicated area on CEDARS website for advice, here, as CEDARS offers assistance to students looking for rental accommodation in the open market.

Financial Support
Apart from the scholarship(s) offered by our Department, students may also seek financial aid from other sources. See here for more details.

Settling in at HKU
CEDARS is committed to fostering an intellectually stimulating and culturally diverse campus to enrich students’ total learning experience at HKU. It supports students by providing a wide range of services, including career advice, counselling, and personal development. To explore more about CEDARS, please browse their webpage here.

In addition, the Department of Real Estate and Construction recognizes that non-local students might encounter specific challenges (e.g. cultural adjustment) when they first come to Hong Kong and HKU. Apart from our student clubs, which serve to enhance peer support and social relationships, our faculty and staff members are also happy to meet with our students. Students, if needed, will be assigned one or more advisors (experienced faculty members) to facilitate adjustment to the university environment, exchange academic interests, develop personal goals etc.