The MSc(Construction Project Management) programme aims to introduce both the general skills of management science and the financial and administrative skills appropriate to professionals, within the context of the construction process. The programme includes studies of the procedures involved in the effective management of construction, and the economic and legal constraints which determine them.
Each student must complete
- twelve courses including prescribed and elective courses; or
- nine courses including prescribed and elective courses plus a dissertation.
The prescribed courses are:
- Construction management practice;
- Procurement systems;
- Law for the real estate and construction industry;
- Project workshop (CPM);
- Management theory and projects; and
- Occupational health, safety and well-being in construction
The elective courses can be chosen from a wide range of options depending on the choice of the following majors:
- MSc(Construction Project Management)
- MSc(Construction Project Management) majoring in:
Construction Law and Dispute Resolution
MSc(ConstProjectMan) including all its majors is recognized by RICS. The MSc(ConstProjectMan) programme majoring in Quantity Surveying is accredited by the Quantity Surveying Division of HKIS, in addition to having been recognized by, and currently seeking re-accreditation from, the CIOB and PAQS.
After completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with related professionals in the real estate and construction industries;
- Apply relevant theory to practice and develop project management methodologies to suit different project, environmental and organizational contexts;
- Integrate relevant knowledge in construction project management with other disciplines in order to enhance professional practice skills;
- Apply critical thinking, analytical as well as research skills to investigate issues and problems associated with the management of construction projects in a local, regional and global context;
- Implement effective project management strategies to real estate and construction projects.