The PhD programme in Architecture is a four-year research degree offering independent research in architecture, landscape architecture and urbanism.
It offers independent research in architecture, landscape architecture and urbanism. It is intended for persons who wish to enter teaching and advanced research careers with a commitment to make an original contribution to the field. The programme places emphasis on originality, significance, and methodology in topics engaging pertinent issues in Asia and China, as well as important intersections with international and cross-cultural contexts.
Major research expertise within the Department includes but is not limited to the following:
- History and theory of architecture, urbanism and habitation;
- Built environment and urban landscape for public health and well-being;
- Architectural and sustainable technologies;
- Analysis and development of buildings, landscapes and regions with focus on social, cultural, economic, technological, ecological and infrastructural systems; and
- Urbanism with attention on high-density, compact cities, housing research and design methods.
For more information about ongoing research initiatives within the Department, please see our Faculty’s list of research centres as well as the research pages of individual Faculty members.