Application Deadline is December 31, 2019 at 12:00 noon (HKT)
The Master of Architecture (MArch)* is a two-year UGC-funded full-time programme offered by the Department of Architecture. The two-year MArch is offered to applicants who hold a Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies degree at this University; or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose.
To be eligible for admission to the degree of Master of Architecture, a candidate:
- shall comply with the General Regulations and the Regulations for Taught Postgraduate Curricula;
- shall possess a Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies degree of this University; or another equivalent qualification from another university or comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
- for a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to high degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b);
- shall satisfy the examiners in qualifying examination if required.
Preference will be given to applicants with professional experience that has shaped their practical and intellectual capacity in a positive manner.
* The 2-year professional Master of Architecture degree is recognized by the Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA), the Architects Registration Board of HKSAR (ARB), the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA), the National Board of Architectural Accreditation (NBAA) and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
Application Submission Requirements
- After submitting the online application via the University’s online application system (https://aal.hku.hk/tpg/programme-list-2021), within one day, applicants will receive an email from the Faculty with login ID and password to access the Faculty’s MArch Application Documents Submission System (https://extranet.ad.arch.hku.hk/Admission/MArch). Please upload the below list of supporting documents to the MArch Application Documents Submission System by 12:00 noon (HKT), December 31, 2019. Please do not encrypt the supporting documents.
- HKID copy (with watermark) for local applicants or passport copy for non-local applicants
- Curriculum vitae (inclusive of publications and academic awards, if any)
- Official transcripts
- Graduation certificate (if any)
- Test Report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (if you have not been studying in the university in which the courses are taught in English).
- A portfolio with no more than 20 pages of creative work related to landscape orientation in PDF format. Proper credit and context must be given for all work related to author, collaborators, and professional office in which the work was completed or academic course and instructor for which the work was completed, where appropriate. The maximum file size is 30MB.
- A written statement of interest (500 words maximum). you should
- describe why you want to attend the Master of Architecture Programme at HKU and identify specific aspects of the programme or the context of Hong Kong that have influenced your decision to apply;
- describe an academic project or professional experience that has shaped the way you approach architecture or urbanism; and
- identify a topic or architecture or urbanism that you would like to explore in greater depth in your graduate studies at HKU.
Applicants will only be requested to submit hard copies of supporting documents when they receive our admission offer. Therefore, please do not submit hard copies to the Faculty Office before you receive an admission offers.
- Applicants have to appoint 2 referees, preferably one previous teacher and one professional employer, via the University’s online application system (https://aal.hku.hk/tpg/programme-list-2021). At least one academic reference is required.Both of your referees will be requested to complete an online referee report and upload a reference letter via a separate email sent by the Faculty.
- Online Applications open on October 21, 2019.
- Application submission is open until 12:00 noon (HKT), December 31, 2019.
- Deadline for submitting of all supporting documents to complete the application is 12:00 noon (HKT), December 31, 2019.
- Postgraduate Prospectus 2020-21 (redirect to )
- FAQ (MArch)