Application Deadline is December 31, 2018 at 12:00 noon (HKT)
The Master of Architecture (MArch) is a 3-year full-time programme* offered by the Department of Architecture. Built on the existing 2-year MArch, the 3-year MArch offers a path for qualified students from undergraduate programmes outside of architecture to pursue an architectural education. The 3-year MArch will operate on a mixed funding model consisting of both self-funded and UGC-funded places. One year of advanced standing of up to a maximum of 60 credits may be granted by the Board of the Faculty to applicants who hold a Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies degree at this University; or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose. Students who are granted with 60 credits of advanced standing can complete the programme in 2-year of study.
To be eligible for admission to the degree of Master of Architecture, a candidate shall satisfy both the University Admission Requirements and the Programme Specific Requirements as listed below:
- shall comply with the General Regulations;
- shall possess a bachelor’s degree with honours of this University; or another equivalent qualification from another university or comparable institution accepted for this purpose* ;
- for a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to high degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b);
- shall satisfy the examiners in qualifying examination if required.
An application for exemption from the above requirements shall be considered on a case by case basis. Preference will be given to applicants with professional experience that has shaped their practical and intellectual capacity in a positive manner.
* The 2-year professional Master of Architecture degree is recognized by the Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA), the Architects Registration Board of HKSAR (ARB), the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA), the National Board of Architectural Accreditation (NBAA) and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). The accreditation of the 3-year Master of Architecture degree is pending for approval.
Application Submission Requirements
(i) Soft-copy Submission
- Design Portfolio (A4 landscape orientation in PDF format; 20 pages; 30 MB file size limit): Including academic design work and professional work; Submission Site: https://extranet.ad.arch.hku.hk/Admission/MARCH/;
- 2 Referee Reports: At least one academic reference is required and the standard referee report is adopted. Referees should complete an online evaluation form in addition to submitting a signed soft copy (PDF) letter of recommendation on their institutional/company letterhead; Submission Site: https://extranet.ad.arch.hku.hk/Referee/MARCH/;
- A Written Statement of Interest (500 words maximum): It should include the followings:-
(i) Describe why you want to attend the Master of Architecture Programme at HKU and identify specific aspects of the programme or the context of Hong Kong that have influenced your decision to apply; (ii) Describe an academic project or professional experience that has shaped the way you approach architecture or urbanism; and (iii) Identify a topic or architecture or urbanism that you would like to explore in greater depth in your graduate studies at HKU; Submission Site: https://extranet.ad.arch.hku.hk/Admission/MARCH/;
- Curriculum Vitae (inclusive of publications and academic awards, if any) with a maximum length of 5 pages (Optional); Submission Site: https://extranet.ad.arch.hku.hk/Admission/MARCH/;
- Online Application Form (http://www.als.hku.hk/admission/tpg).
(ii) Both Soft-copy and Hard-copy Submissions
- English Proficiency Test Record (if applicants have not been studying in the university in which the courses are taught in English, English Proficiency Test Record is required);
- Official transcripts and officially certified true copy of graduation certificate.
(iii) Hard-copy Submission
- Proof of your identity (i.e. a copy of an identity card or a copy of a valid passport).
Master of Architecture (Admission)
Faculty of Architecture
Room 415, 4/F, Knowles Building
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
* Detailed soft-copy submission guidelines and login details will be sent to the applicants and referees respectively via email within one day upon completion of online application. It is crucial that the applicants have to input accurate information on their online application form. Any inaccurate information may cause email delivery failures and unavailable access to online submission systems.
- Online Applications open on November 13, 2018.
- Application submission is open until 12:00 noon (HKT), December 31, 2018.
- Deadline for submitting of all supporting documents to complete the application is 12:00 noon (HKT), December 31, 2018.
- Postgraduate Prospectus 2019-20
- FAQ (MArch)