Summer Program 2016 – Practice of Architecture in Fairy Water Village
15-Jul-2016 - 12-Aug-2016
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Yongxing County, Hunan Province 河南省永兴县
Summer Program 2016 - Practice of Architecture in Fairy Water Village
Location: Yongxing County, Hunan Province
Led by Yan Gao, Chad McKee
- Students will experience the current Village modernization (新农村建设) in China through the educational and research activities for exploiting new vernacular architecture that synthesizes the innovative design and the new technologies with the traditional craftsmanship, based upon the study of the culture and local architectural context in Fairy Water Village in Hunan Province;
- b. Students will learn both the knowledge and the skills on understanding vernacular architecture, passive design approaches, and building tectonics with local materials and crafts. Activities include survey drawings of historical houses, data collection and analysis with drones and photogrammetry techniques.
- c. Students are expected to experience the design and build exercise of some small structures for the village community through experimenting propotypical design methodologies.
- Professors and professionals will lead the teams for site surveying and data processing
- Integration of traditional craftsmanship and digital technologies
- Site visit to the rural regions with rich local culture mixed of traditional and modern life.
- Participation of some mock-up constructions alongside the field trip
- Training Workshop in Shangdong for an green architecture solar house project (Optional)
- July 25 – 26, Fairy Water Village, site visit and premliminary design assignment
- July 27 – 29, Dezhou, Shangdong Province (山东德州), workshop for solar house and passive design
- July 30 – August 12, Fairy Water Village, Hunan Province : site survey and practice design & build projects
It is free admission. Each participant will receive a sponsorship to fully cover flight and accommodation cost.
- Eligibility: Current full time HKU students including the current BA(AS) Year 4 and M.Arch II students.
- Application contact: Ms. Esther Siu (email@example.com | 2859 8992)
- Application deadline: June 30, 2014
- Information Day: 5:00pm, June 10, 2016, KB115