FAQs for Taught Postgraduate Programmes

Applicants should submit their applications via HKU TPG online application system. Please go to the webpage at for details.

The application materials for admission to most of our TPG programmes in September will be uploaded to TPG online admission system from time to time at, starting from mid of November.

Applicants with qualification(s) from a university of comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching or examination is not English are required to obtain:

i). a score of 550 or above in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL or a score of 80 in the internetbased TOEFL ; or
ii) a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) ; or
iii) Grade C or above in the Overseas General Certificate of Education (GCE); or
iv). Grade C or above in the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE); or
v). Grade C or above in the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language;

in order to satisfy the University’s English language requirements for admission, unless in exceptional circumstances, the applicant is exempted from this requirement by the Board of the Faculty.

Different programmes will have different application periods. Please go to the webpage at for details.

Each programme may decide its specific requirements and procedures of submitting supporting documents. Please refer to the admission documents and instructions for submitting supporting documents uploaded to the TPG online admission system at for details.

If you have not completed your undergraduate study at the time of application, you are required to provide your latest official transcript of your current study and other available documents to the Faculty for admission panel’s consideration. If you receive a conditional offer of admission subsequently, you are required to resubmit the finalized official transcript in due course for vetting purpose.

The application fee for each TPG programme is HKD 300 (non-refundable). Payment of application fee should be settled online by either Visa or Master card at Payment by cash is not acceptable.

For details of the composition fee, please refer to the admission documents of specific programmes at

You will automatically receive an acknowledgement email upon your completion of online application successfully.

Please submit officially certified copies of certificates and official transcripts of your undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Documents which are not in English should be accompanied by a formally certified translation in English.

It is a copy of a document that has been duly declared as a true copy before a notary public such as Commissioner for Oaths at a City District Office. Hong Kong SAR Government, or certified by the appropriate office / department of your institution.

Yes, you can apply for more than one taught postgraduate programme. You should submit an online application with a full set of required supporting documents, which should be submitted online and/or to the Faculty by mail, subject to specific programme admission requirements and pay the application fee online for each application.

If you apply for two study modes (part-time / full-time) simultaneously of the same programme, you are required to complete two separate application forms as well as pay the application fees for twice.

The dates of announcement for application results will definitely depend on the decisions made by the admission panels of various programmes. However, if candidates do not hear from the Faculty by mid of August, they may assume that their applications are not successful. You can contact our academic programme officers for enquiry if necessary. Please click here to download the contact information.

No, you should submit your application again for the next year admission. You may contact our academic programme officers if in doubt. Please click here to download the contact information.

Those candidates who are successfully admitted in our taught postgraduate programmes will have opportunities to be nominated to award the following scholarships/prizes:

[Information may not be updated timely, please check with our academic programme officers if nessary.]

Master of Architecture
HKIA Students Medal
Jardine / Henry Lo Scholarship
P & T Travel Scholarship
Professor KC Lye Design Prizes in Architecture
Rev. Fr.E Bruzzone Memorial Travelling Scholarship
Szeto Wai Architecture Scholarship
Wong Tung & Partners Scholarship

Master of Landscape Architecture
Hong Kong Institute of Landscape Architects – Student Award of Excellence

Master of Science in Construction Project Management
Building Management Prize
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (HK) Scholarship

Master of Science in Real Estate
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (HK) Scholarship

Master of Housing Management
Father Cronin Memorial Award

Master of Science in Urban Planning
Hong Kong Institute of Planners Prizes
The Royal Town Planning Institute Book Prize

Open to all Faculty Taught Postgraduate Programmes
The Centenary Scholarship Fund

[Information may not be updated timely, please check with our academic programme officers if nessary.]

The professional degree of Master of Architecture (MArch) is recognized by the Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA), Architects Registration Board (ARB), the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA), and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).  Upon passing the Professional Assessment held by HKIA/ARB in Hong Kong, graduates are eligible to apply for admission as Members of HKIA and as Registered Architects under the Architects Registration Ordinance (Chapter 408).

The Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) is a professional degree, accredited by the Hong Kong Institute of Landscape Architects (HKILA).

After two years approved practical experience, MLA graduates are eligible to sit HKILA Professional Practice Examinations in order to gain full professional status, and subsequently apply to become a Registered Landscape Architect (LA) in Hong Kong.

Real Estate and Construction
MSc(ConstProjectMan) including all its majors is recognized by CIOB and RICS. The MSc(ConstProjectMan) programme majoring in Quantity Surveying is accredited by the PAQS and the Quantity Surveying Division of HKIS.

MSc(RealEst) including all its majors is recognized by CIOB and RICS. The MSc(RealEst) programme majoring in Urban Development is accredited by the Planning and Development Division and the General Practice Division of HKIS.

Urban Planning and Design
The degree of MSc(UrbanPlanning) is recognized as a professional qualification by the Hong Kong Institute of Planners (HKIP). Full professional status may be gained after two years’ approved practical experience, of which at least one year must be in Hong Kong.

The degree of MSc(UrbanPlanning) is also recognized by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) in the United Kingdom and graduates can become licentiate members to undergo two years of assessment of professional competency to become full corporate members of the Institute.

Graduates of the MSc(UrbanPlanning) programme who specialized in transport planning are also qualified to apply for chartered membership of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (Hong Kong) (CILT–HK) after they have obtained practical experience at professional level.

Graduates of MSc(UrbanPlanning) who have completed additional modules in surveying meet the academic requirements for admission to the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) scheme of the Planning and Development Division of Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) via the non-cognate but relevant graduate degree route. Full professional membership may be granted by the HKIS after they have gained the required working experience and passing the professional assessment.

The Master of Housing Management (MHousMan) (Professional Stream) is recognized by the Chartered Institute of Housing and the Hong Kong Institute of Housing. Graduates of this stream are eligible to apply for Corporate Membership of both Institutes after fulfilling the Practical Experience Requirement (PER).

Concurrent registration by a student of HKU, for another postsecondary qualification either at HKU or another institution is not permitted, unless approval of the Senate has been obtained in advance. A breach of this Regulation in Hong Kong or elsewhere may result in the student concerned being required to discontinue studies at this University.

No, you can only accept any one of the offers because concurrent study is prohibited by the University.

The Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) provides residential halls for students, with priority given to undergraduate students. There is no guarantee to offer hall places to postgraduate students. Please refer to CEDARS webpage at for details.

Yes, the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) (Email: will give financial advice to those students who may need to pay for payment deferral.  However, applicants are required to pay an admission deposit (1st installment of the composition fee) to confirm their acceptances of the offer. In this circumstance, deferral payment will not be allowed.

Yes, the Non-means Tested Loan Scheme (NLS) for eligible Hong Kong citizens – NLS provides financial assistance in the form of loan to eligible Hong Kong citizens. The charges are far below the average best lending rate of the note-issuing banks. Please visit for further information.

Yes, please forward your visa application documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department via Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) (for overseas students) or China Affairs Office (for mainland students). You are advised to make the application as soon as possible because it takes around 8-10 weeks for completion of your visa application.

Yes, you are required to settle the remaining part of the composition fee. If you want to accept the Firm Offer, you have to settle the balance (i.e. Balance = 1st installment of the composition fee – deposit paid) and the caution money (HKD 350) by the deadline as stated in the Firm Offer letter.

Caution money should be paid by a student on first registration and should be retained by the University as a deposit from which it may make deductions in respect of fees, fines, breakages, damage, loss and other charges incurred by the student. If at any time, as a result of deduction made, the balance of the deposit be inadequate to meet future charges outstanding, the student shall restore the balance therein to its original level. On withdrawal from the University, the balance of a student’s caution money should be set off against the graduation fee or, if the student is not graduating, be returned to the student.

Student can obtain the receipt by one of the following methods:

i.) After completion of online master registration in late August, students could download the receipt from SIS system (i.e. SIS portal>SIS Main Menu>Financial Services>My Receipt)

ii.) If students would like to have the receipt before completing master registration, please contact Finance and Enterprises Office by email ( or by phone (852-2859 2337) for details. The service charge for issuing an official receipt is HKD 30.

The registration package together with the student computer account login and password will be sent to the incoming students in August.  Students are required to complete the master registration online as soon as possible.  The student ID card will be available to collect in early September upon the completion of online master registration.

After completion of online master registration, students will be informed by the respective Programme Officers of the course registration procedure during the course enrollment period in mid-August and add/drop period in early September.