While prospective PhD/MPhil students are required to apply via the HKU Graduate School, they are expected to first identify a potential thesis supervisor and have discussions as to the feasibility of their proposed topic. ACP requires prospective students to prepare a detailed research proposal (essentially, a research framework) for consideration covering the following:
- What is a one-line summary of your proposed topic, which can serve as the tentative working TITLE of your proposed topic?
- What is the background ISSUE(S) that led to your proposed topic?
- What are the FOCUS and SCOPE of your proposed research?
- What LITERATURE REVIEW have you done and what is the RESEARCH GAP you have discovered through the review?
- What is the METHODOLOGY (Part 1) of your proposed research in terms of its THEORECTICAL BASIS and HYPOTHESIS?
- What is the METHODOLOGY (Part 2) of your proposed research in terms of KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS and means of DATA COLLECTION?
- What is the METHODOLOGY (Part 3) of your proposed research in terms of a tentative CHAPTER LAYOUT?
- What are your BIBLIOGRAPHICAL references?